Monday, September 23, 2013

On Leadership, September 2013

Here I am as a Sergeant in the U.S. Marines shortly before my 8 1/2 year mark. Sergeant is the second noncommissioned officer rank in the Marines and signifies a position of leadership and authority among Marines.


There are a lot of views floating around out there about leadership. Some of them are correct views, and some seem to be a little misguided. The Marine Corps has volumes of literature about its official views on leadership and part of my beliefs about leadership come from my time in the U.S. Marines. My views have also been shaped by my Christian beliefs, education and experience. Here, I will make a list of some of the top traits I think a good leader should have:

1. To Be Able to Predict the Future

No, I'm not talking about dabbling in the occult. What I'm speaking about is a leader's ability to forecast what will happen if he or she deploys their manpower and/or resources in a certain manner. In other words, if I do A & B; then C will occur. If I offer a retention bonus and longevity pay to my software engineers, it will prevent them from jumping ship to Technosoft when it starts offering stock options to engineers in December. If I motivate my Marines by offering opportunities to advance their careers, they will enthusiastically work 14 hour days for me to complete the mission. In order to be able to predict the future as a leader, you must know the capabilities of both the resources at your disposal and the personnel who follow you.


2. Caring About the Well-being of Subordinates

If you sincerely care about your employees, they will care about doing a good job for you. It may not mean a lot to the leader that a lead worker's son has a baseball championship game during a heavy workday, but since it means a lot to the lead worker, the manager [leader] should care about letting the lead worker have that day off. It might require some sacrifice, but it might be better for the company in the long-run  if that lead worker gets the day off to see his son's baseball team win the championship. I espouse the view, to a certain extent, that a leader is a servant. The leader should ask themselves "How can I make the job easier/more rewarding/less stressful for my personnel?" An effective leader should have a symbiotic relationship with their subordinates: they take care of their subordinates and their subordinates take care of them. An exceptionally skilled leader will foster a feeling of the unit/corporation being a family where everyone takes care of one another in a concerted effort to accomplish them mission in a way that everyone benefits.



3. Lead by Example, Lead From the Front!

"Don't ask your subordinates to do anything you wouldn't do" seems to be one of the pillars of being a leader. Personnel tend to get fed up with a leader who doesn't want to share in the sacrifices, but who still wants to reap all of the reward. If you want your workers to put in a long, exhausting shift, it would be in your best interest to be working right alongside them for the duration of the shift. Show some zeal and enthusiasm while rolling up your sleeves and working with the persons under your employ. Don't cast the stereotype of the fat cat executive with a putting green in their corner office who leaves work early and lets their employees shoulder the load. If you ask your employees to take a cut in pay, you better be taking the biggest cut. In a military unit, if you want your troops to be in top physical condition, you should be one of the top performers and leading runs from the front. As a Corporal in Iraq, I was put in charge of leading several Marines in cleaning the head (restroom) in one of the wings of the barracks. When we were in there working, I was in there with the Marines scrubbing the urinals and directing what needed to be cleaned and in which order. It seemed like I got more respect for doing that, rather than just standing there with my arms crossed barking out orders.


4. Be Motivated and Stay Positive

"Well, you guys have been doing a terrible job and we're at the bottom of every product review and we'll probably stay there unless you guys magically become better employees," is something that a lousy leader would say to their employees. Instead at the monthly all employee meeting, the leader should say something like this: "The reviews are out and we have a lot of opportunity for improvement. I know you guys are capable of getting us to #1, and this is my plan to get us there: ....
Don't air your dirty laundry to your employees; don't ask them to take on your burdens. Save that for a close friend, consultant or mentor. In front of your employees, you want to be the guy or gal with the plan who has boundless energy and enthusiasm to confidently and surely lead the company to a better place. Be positive about the direction the company is headed and motivated to make it even better. Invite your employees to take ownership of your company's mission and create an understanding that the fates of them and the company are entwined: if the company does well, then they do well also.


5. Magnify Praise, Minimize the Negative

When a subordinate or group of subordinates do well, make sure every employee in the corporation knows about it. Announce it at the all employee meeting and be specific as to why those particular employees are being praised/rewarded. [It will give the other employees and employee sections to know what to aspire to]. If feasible, give the employee and their department a bonus, some time off, a discount coupon or fancy certificate; something to show your (and the company's) gratitude for a job well done. This tends to spur employees in the direction of further accomplishment and endearing the company (and you) to the employees.
Make expectations clear and if an employee is failing to maintain minimum standards, pull them aside and gently set them in the right direction. This is the wrong way to set the employee in the right direction: "%$#@! Shari, you can't seem to do anything right! You better learn how to do the accounting for the inventory profits and do it real quick before your butt gets canned!" Instead the leader might want to try something like this to correct an employee: "Shari, I appreciate the effort you put in on a daily basis. You wanna know how you can shine even more? Ask Tom to help you with the inventory profit software. He's an expert at it and I'm sure you'll be one in no time at all under his tutelage."
In the first, incorrect example, the leader had nothing good to say to the employee. In fact, it was completely negative. Instead of hearing anything constructive, the employee probably just heard "I don't like you, you're a worthless piece of garbage. I don't want you to work here." In the second example, the leader affirms the employee by telling her how much he appreciates her and that they have confidence she can do even better. That's true leadership.



Thanks for tuning in to this article on leadership.

Me in late 2005 as the MAG-16 Assistant Duty Noncommissioned Officer, Corporal, USMC

7 comments:

  1. Looking handsome in the uniform!

    Very well written article. As I was reading this, I was thinking back to my time as a teacher and how I managed my classroom. I had a much more successful time with my students, got things accomplished and made them work harder than other teachers, because they respected me and knew that even though I "lead" them, I gave them the respect they deserve. It's a fine line to walk, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon :-)

    I agree with you that respect must be reciprocal. I have found that in order to get it, you have to give it. I remember as a Sergeant, I told a Private First Class that I respected him and it really made his day. Each person has something valuable to bring to the table and indeed each person brings with them inherent value. This is actually a biblical worldview because we Christians believe that each person is made in the image and likeness of their Creator and that we are to love each other as commanded by Christ in scripture.

    I bet you were a good teacher. I always respected the teachers who challenged me, yet they were kind and encouraging. What made you give up teaching?

    You're right, it's a fine line to walk because you don't want to be a hard task master and yet again you don't want to be a softy that gets pushed over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually the system James, it's broken. Teachers are treated like cattle in Canada, if we don't "tow the line" so to speak, we're expendable. On top of that students are the same as they were and parents can make your life hell. Don't get me started on the politics and cliques within the school system as well.

      Essentially, if my job was to teach kids, I would have loved my job. I loved my kids. I taught the "low level" kids and I honestly cared for them and it can sometimes be too hard on your heart to keep getting invested year in and year out.

      I had a job opportunity within the family business and decided I just couldn't pass it up. I miss the kids and teaching every once in a while (like September), but 90% of the time, I'm much happier where I'm at.

      Now THAT'S a blog entry I should write!!!

      Delete
    2. Isn't it sad that a broken system can ruin someone even wanting to do the career they love? I think Canada and the U.S. can commiserate with an idiotic school system. Check this out: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/09/24/virginia-school-suspends-7th-grader-playing-toy-gun-his-yard.

      Common sense is no longer a common virtue in either of our countries, and it reflects strongly in our education systems. My oldest son is home schooled and the other ones will be as well when they are old enough. In my opinion, public schools in the US these days have become ridiculous.
      That's great you can work in the family business. That would be a career I would prefer, and someday I will probably start a family business myself. What business does your family do? I agree, you should write a blog article about teaching and the current state of the school system :-)

      Delete
  3. well said! sometimes i thought a military type of leadership combined with corporate rules and management works in most things to install discipline among others. just an ideas never been into a leadership; well maybe at home and some not-so-big projects around.

    by the way, have you been assigned to the Philippines during your time with the US marines james? there's a lot of US troops station in the southern philippines and there's almost warship dock in the philippines for a port call almost every month. in fact right now, there's an ongoing war games here involving 2500 US troops; it's an annual exercise and will ran for 3 weeks until obama's visit next month in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Military leadership is sometimes stereotyped as the Boot Camp Drill Sergeant to private trainee archetype. It's not always like that in the military, although some former Drill Instructors try to bring their wild antics out to the the Fleet Marine Force and end up looking like a bunch of morons. Recruit Training, as we call it in the Marine Corps, requires the recruit to be broken down mentally, emotionally and physically. A sense of urgency and panic must be put upon the recruit so that they will know how to respond under fire and in emergency situations. The Drill Instructor's job is to break the recruits in order to make them stronger. In that, the Marine Corps does an effective job.
    Other leaders in the Marines may disagree with me and say that subordinates must always be yelled and screamed at in order to get them to do what you want them to do. I've tried this when I was a young noncommissioned officer and it didn't work for me. I found that the carrot (reward) is mightier than the whip (punishment) and that treating subordinates well will get you further than treating them shabbily.

    During my time in the Marines, I never made it out to the Philippines. Usually Marines get to visit the Philippines when assigned to a ship, which we call a 'Marine Expeditionary Unit' (MEU). I did have the chance to go on a MEU one time, but it would have been with Marines I didn't care for. I instead chose to go to Iraq where I was very successful and got promoted to Sergeant.

    Do you guys like it when American troops visit the Philippines? I would still like to visit someday. One of my good Marine friends, Alain Flores is Filipino and he served with me on my last (fourth) deployment to Iraq in 2008. He is fluent in Tagalog.

    Thanks for the comment, Emmanuell :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, i see! yeah, it's okay for me for an troops come and visit the philippines especially those from ASEAN (singapore, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, brunei, etc.), japan, s. korea and of course allies like US and australia. everybody knows that philippines is a major non-nato ally of US with standing mutual defense treaty (1951) and visiting forces agreement. US has been a major contributor to philippine security. but i also like for the philippines to have a strong diplomatic relationship with other stakeholders of the world like russia, south america, india, china, etc.

      Delete