Friday, September 20, 2013

How Do You Explain Personal Drive?

I'm sure we all know that one person who seems ridiculously tenacious and has an extraordinary amount of motivation? These people often refuse to accept defeat and keep trying until their energy is totally spent or they prevail. When they succeed, people usually agree that this person very much deserves the success due to their hard work and determination. How do you explain the drive that propel these people towards their goals?


I think it has a lot to do with the way these driven people see themselves and how they believe others see them. It also may have something to do with the way they were raised. Out of these factors, I believe the way driven people see themselves is the most powerful in learning about what makes them tick.



If a person sees themselves as capable, powerful, intelligent, stalwart and steadfast then it follows they will be more driven. Often these people adopt the trait of being a hard worker and go-getter into their personal identity and it does something to them that leaves observers looking on in admiration: a driven person who does not give up without a fight.












On the other end of the spectrum, people who see themselves as unable, weak, lacking and easily overwhelmed will tend to give up without giving it much of a try. These are the people who walk during a time when they should run and their faces aren't even red. They felt a little burn and windedness so they gave up and started walking. They don't like to feel 'uncomfortable.'



These same 'weak' people don't adapt to change well, either, while the driven and more motivated people are more open and ready for change. I would like to draw upon the wisdom of Drs. Tim Clinton and George Ohlschlager and point out that change in and of itself should not be the goal because human beings are fallible and can direct change towards evil or ineffectual ends. However, change in life is inevitable and being a driven person who adapts well to change is preferable to being someone who goes through change painfully and pitifully.



Being driven and motivated enables a person to be ready and more available for effective, positive change that will carry them higher. At this point, I want to ask you a couple of questions:

1. Who do you see yourself as?

2. When you look in the mirror, do you see a determined winner looking back or a deflated wiener

 

3. Who do you want to be?

Be honest when you take an inventory of yourself, but stay positive and remember that you can always change negative traits to positive ones. One saying I always keep in mind when I contemplate self improvement is:

"The difference between try and triumph is just a little 'umph'."

I want to encourage you to see yourself as someone who can succeed and one who has an indomitable personal drive. This is one of the only instances where the expression "Seeing is believing" definitely applies. Don't give yourself the option of failure. See yourself succeeding.


 Don't push it too far to where it becomes stubbornness where you're running into a brick wall repeatedly. Remember that brick wall in I Can and I Will? Improvise and adapt in ever-changing circumstances. If one route doesn't work, don't get fixated on that route that doesn't work, find the one that does work. Let the attempts that don't work roll off you like water off a duck's back.



If you find undesirable traits in your self-inventory, change them. Don't make excuses. Weak people are full of excuses as to why they can't. Driven people tell their success stories and help others to succeed. I ask again, who do you want to be?


6 comments:

  1. "Do you see yourself as a winner or a wiener?" Hahaha! Love it! This whole entry is very pertinent to a lot of people. Self-worth and how you view yourself can keep you in a negative relationship, job, friendship, etc. I figure I've got one life to live, I'm worth more than negativity.

    Excellent entry, as always, James!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon. I think you got the gist of what I am saying: If people see themselves as more, they will be more. They will see themselves as being able to kick bad habits or undesirable attributes rather than just resigning themselves. I always look forward to receiving your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love the picture of the hot dog that you drew a frown on. I love what you're saying, and I think that picture adds to the point well by including a little bit of humor.
    I like that so many of these skills of highly driven and motivated people usually coincide with being an effective leader. Leadership skills are key. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Thanks Emily. I didn't know if everyone would catch the frowny face on the hot dog. I try to add a bit of humor in my blog here and there :-) I agree with you that many of these traits listed above are characteristics of a good leader. I mean, it makes a lot of sense; who wants to follow an unmotivated debbie-downer? Not me, I want a leader who is optimistic about our unit's ability to succeed and motivated to get us from point a to point be: from having the goal, to seeing us through to accomplishment. I think much of my military mindset comes out in my writing. It's hard to shake 8.5 years of Marine Corps outta the ole noggin'. Some of it also comes from the life coaching classes I took while pursuing my baccalaureate and the leadership and management classes I am taking to get my MBA. Thanks for the kudos Em. Your comments are valued.

      Delete
  4. some people looks things negatively and only acts for today. seeing things differently creates a sort of motivation. asking what do you want to achieve in the future, what do you want to do after, say, 20 years are sometimes not on other people's life list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emmanuell! Receiving your comments always puts a smile on my face. I agree with you in that seeing things differently can provide motivation in that it sometimes makes difficult goals seem more easily attainable. I love that 'aha' moment when I look at an obstacle or goal a little bit differently and realize it is easier than I at first thought it would be. It stirs in me an even greater fire and zeal to get the job done!

      Delete