Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Awesome Ab Exercise: Leg Extensions!

Hello readers! Boy, are you in for a treat today. In this blog article, I will be sharing arguably the best exercise I have in my abdominal arsenal. My memory on how I learned about it is a little hazy, but I first remember doing it when I was deployed to Iraq in 2005. Behold! I give you the amazing leg extension!

Starting Position

 


1. Balance on your upper buttocks and hold your hands out in front of you as shown for balance.When you are balanced, lift your feet off the ground.

Legs Out

2. Keeping your feet lifted off the ground, extend them out all the way.

Back to the Start

3. Keeping your feet off the ground, go back to the starting position

To start out, I suggest you try to get at least 25-30 repetitions. My record is 75 consecutive repetitions. You may think they look easy, but once you try them, it may seem otherwise.

If you are having a hard time with balancing on your buttocks/tailbone, try putting you hands behind to keep steady while you punish your abs. This is demonstrated below:


Starting Position

Tip: Lean back and rest on your hands

Legs Out!


Tip: You may have to lean further back if you have longer legs



Back to Starting Position, Repeat for Desired Amount of Reps


I demonstrated this exercise in slacks, button-up, and tie because I wanted to show you that these can be done anywhere. In this case, I was on one my breaks and performed these behind the building. You don't have any excuses not to exercise because you don't have time or don't have a place to work out.



Demonstration Video:


How many reps of these can you do? Do you feel the burn?

!Caution! These exercises can really tax the hip flexor muscles. You might want to stretch them out beforehand.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment