Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Try Something New

Most of us have our favorite things we like to go back to time and time again: a favorite latte at the local cafe, a particular combination platter at an Asian restaurant we prefer at the food court in the mall, the same Chicken Caesar Salad at the restaurant we go to on date night---you get the picture, right?
I'm the same way in many regards---I like what I like and have usually stuck to things I know I like in the past, but lately I have been making it a point to try new foods when I go out to restaurants. The other day when I went to a seafood place with my grandma for lunch, instead of ordering something I had already had before, I ordered their seared Ahi Tuna salad with all sorts of good stuff in it. This is not usually something I would get, but I have to admit; it was pretty good.

Sure, it's great to enjoy an old favorite or order something that brings back fond memories. However, it's also nice to try new things and explore new flavors. As the old adage goes "Variety is the spice of life." Trying new things makes you smarter and more experienced. I encourage you to get out of your box and explore life. Food is just an example; trying new things extends to almost every part of life.

Obviously, there are a few things that are best if kept constant: Keep your spouse, keep your sanity, keep yourself drug-free, etc. Trying something new should not extend to practicing stupidity, but some people use it as an excuse to do so. You would think this would be common sense, but some peoples' thought processes are a little alarming in this regard.

Here are some examples of new things you can try:

1. Order the last thing you would try on the menu when you go out to eat.

A wild, yet tasty dish


2. Drive a different way home from work.

3. Choose a different running route when you exercise.

4. Go out of your way to be friendly with people you don't think you have much in common with.

5. Instead of going to the beach for vacation like you always do, go hiking in the mountains, instead (or fill in the blank).

My first time snorkeling


6. Take your kids to a new park you've never been to before.

7. Go to a local cafe instead of a popular international coffee shop franchise.

A favorite coffee from one of our favorite local coffee joints


8.  Look up new exercises to do online to vary your fitness regimen.

9. Go volunteer at a nursing home and bring a smile to the residents' faces. Show them they're not forgotten.

10. Buy a plant for your office you had previously not known about.

The list of new things you can try is endless. Don't get stuck in a humdrum existence. Some people feel like they're living the same day over and over again; don't be like those people. Pepper your life with new experiences, accomplishments, trips, new friends and a variety of interesting activities. What are some new things you've tried recently?

6 comments:

  1. I jumped off the Stratosphere in Las Vegas! 855' of AWESOME!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jumped off the Stratosphere in Las Vegas! 855' of AWESOME!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOw! 855 feet! That's crazy! I want to do that!

      Delete
  3. I like this post!! My husband and I try to go somewhere different on every aniversary even if it is just changing it up a little. It is invigorating to go different places or just read a book you might not have normally chosen. It can be surprising some of the things I end up enjoying like I did not know that I would like cooked beets. I love cooked beets!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree: even changing things up just a little can make something seem quite new! I might just have to try cooked beets. I've tried canned beets before and I did not like that at all. :-)

      Delete