Sunday, August 25, 2013

Part Two in an August 2013 Series on Music

Here is part two of my series on music. I hope you enjoy my selections for today's blog. Each song, it seems, is a part of my history. Music brings out feelings and emotions and can paint a day a million different colors, where once there was merely gray. Music is art; instead of using paints, the artists use words and melodies. How does music make you feel? What is your favorite song and why?

 

1. Johann Pachelbel- Canon



I discovered this brilliant piece by Pachelbel on Grandma Mary's keyboard in the summer of 2000 while working at Enchanted Forest--between my sophomore and junior years of high school. This is the type of music I think would be similar to what is played in heaven. From my perspective, 'Canon' is best when played on a harp, but the whole orchestra version sounds is good, too. When I listen to Canon by Pachelbel, it reminds me of that summer when I was in high school with my whole life ahead of  me with the sun shining brightly. It reminds me of love, happiness and adventures galore. How does Canon make YOU feel?

 2. Buddy Holly- Words of Love


I just want to throw this out there: Buddy Holly was a genius. He was truly a pioneer in modern music and provided many other bands and artists with inspiration for their sounds and style. Buddy Holly and the Crickets had many hits before that fateful night of February 3rd, 1959 when the plane he was flying in crashed and killed Holly, along with other notable musicians Richie Valens and J.P. Richardson AKA the Big Bopper. Don McClean wrote a song about "the day the music died" in his 1971 song "American Pie." In any case "Words of Love" is my favorite Buddy Holly song followed closely by "Maybe Baby."

3. The Beatles- Words of Love



Speaking of bands that were influenced by Buddy Holly and The Crickets, The Beatles were wildly popular during the sixties when they came on the scene and remain popular to this day. They put together their own rendition of "Words of Love" which is actually really good, but still doesn't beat the original by Buddy Holly. The Beatles remain one of my all time favorite bands and I'm sure many people include them in the top ten bands of all time.

4. The Beatles- I Want to Hold Your Hand



While we're talking about The Beatles, the song that really introduced me to The Beatles was "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Its upbeat tune and lyrics of hopeful young love really appealed to me at the time and described how I felt when I was around a gal that I liked. The teenage years were quite topsy-turvy for me, but I look back on them now and smile.

5. Sonicflood- Everyday 



This is a quick Christian song with a good tune and excellent lyrics. It seems to motivate me regardless of what kind of mood I am in. It's hard to listen to this song with a frown and I can't help but smile when it comes on. It's a good song to workout to, and just makes a person happy.


Music has always had a prominent place in my life, as I'm sure it holds that same respect in the lives of millions of others. Music can make us motivated, can make us move, can make us happy, can make us calm, can make us inspired and can even enhance an enjoyable experience.

Can you think of any accomplishments music has helped you attain? I know music has helped me during exercising, writing and spurring creativity. What music, band or song most inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment