Friday, August 23, 2013

The Proper Lunge

How many of you have done lunges before? Most of us probably have at one point or another if we've played sports. Lunges are an incredible leg strengthener, stamina builder, balance developer and fat burner. However, they can be quite challenging and can lead to injury for the unwary. I would encourage anyone thinking about incorporating lunges into their workouts to do a small set one day and see how they feel the next----especially if they have knee or hip problems. 

I started out doing 30 reps in a set of lunges when I was a big boy (266+ lbs.). As I became lighter and in better shape, I eventually was able to execute 150 repetitions in one set of lunges consecutively. Like many things in life, to get good at it, it takes practice.


Starting Position


You can start with feet together or shoulder-width apart

Drop down placing one leg forward

Place one leg forward and drop your body down as shown
***Caution*** Do not allow your knee to go past your toes as it is a recipe for injury

 Some people like to place their hands on their hips or the backs of their heads while executing lunges. I like to flex my muscles. I have found it is the most convenient thing to do with my hands while lunging.

 Then alternate legs

Alternate by lunging with the other leg and dropping your body weight down

For a real challenge, do a set of 100 lunges and then do a set of 100 Body Weight Squats. I did this last night and I indeed felt the burn.

There's nothing like lunges in the morning. I hope the readers of this article will incorporate lunges into their fitness routine and see how they work. How many can you do in a set?

Happy Lunging


No comments:

Post a Comment