Monday, August 26, 2013

Music August 2013 Part III


 This is the final wrap for this month's series on music. Today, I want my readers to think about how much music means to them and to get out some old CDs and listen to songs not heard in awhile. I am sure it will bring back memories.

1. Led Zeppelin- D'yer Mak'er



This song is an interesting foray by Led Zeppelin into a different type of sound than they usually had. Most people I meet call the song "Dire Maker" which is an incorrect pronunciation. It is correctly pronounced "Jer Maker" based off a caricature of an accent where 'Jamaica' and 'Did you make her' sound the same. This comes from an old joke between two friends where one says "My wife has left and gone off to the West Indies," to which his friend asks "D'yer Mak'er (Jer Maker)?" and the original speaker says "No, she left of her own accord." This is comical because the friend of the person whose wife left him was actually asking if she went off to Jamaica.


This song got me through a rough summer and helped motivate me when working out at the gym. Whenever I listen to it and my hands aren't occupied, I find myself hitting invisible drum sticks on drums, pretending I'm John Bonham of Led Zeppelin. The drum work in this song is phenomenal. 


2. Herman's Hermits- Wonderful World


Ahh, good ole Herman's Hermits. 'Wonderful World' is one of the band's most popular songs and it's reminiscent of a high school boy in love, trying to impress a lovely girl he has a crush on. I believe I received my Herman's Hermits CD from my parents between the summer of 8th and 9th grade. We took a trip to Kaneta in 1999 from the mid-Willamette Valley and I listened to Herman's Hermits all the way there. Listening to The Hermits brings back good memories for me. What does it do for you?



3. Todd Agnew- Grace Like Rain


Sung by Todd Agnew, 'Grace Like Rain' seems like an earnest proclamation of what God had done for the singer through grace. It reminds me of the old hymn 'Amazing Grace' but it's much different. I first discovered this song when I was deployed to Iraq in 2006. 


4. Elvis Presley- Suspicious Minds

I put this song by 'The King' on the blog in honor of my brother Kenton who is a Bering Sea fisherman and is there right now earning his living. This is by far his favorite Elvis Presley song. It appeals to me also. I am huge Elvis fan. It always makes me feel happy to listen to one of his songs.

5. Marines Hymn

When the Marine Corps Hymn started playing when I was in uniform, I snapped to attention and felt the goosebumps form as I proudly listened to the proud tune of the hymn play. It's a great feeling to be part of such an elite organization with all the history and valor that is a part of the United States Marine Corps. The Marines Hymn reminds us (Marines) of that feeling, even in the most horrible of times. It picks us up and reminds us who we are.                  

Short Intro (Instruments Only)


                                                                                Full Marine Corps Hymn with Words

6. Feelin' Groovy- Harper's Bizarre & Simon and Garfunkel

In high school, I liked the Harper's Bizarre version of this song better, but as an adult, I lean toward Simon and Garfunkel's. Any way you spin it, Feelin' Groovy is a cool song. It's also called the 59th Street Bridge Song. I remember driving to school in my upperclassman years bobbing my head to the song as I drove. Which version do you prefer?

The Harper's Bizarre Version



The Simon and Garfunkel Version



What songs inspire and encourage you? Leave some Youtube links in the comments for your favorite songs. How do you like my song selection for this short series on music? I plan to do more music articles in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment