Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Ten Ways to Start the Day for Success

Have you ever got up on the wrong side of bed (figuratively) and had it affect the rest of your day for the worse? Here is a list of ten things you can do to get a great start to your day:


1. Get up Early

Wake up at least an hour and a half before you must leave for work. This will give you time to do what you need to in order to start the day out right. Who wants to wake up half an hour before they have to leave, trying to rush out the door unshowered with a bagel stuffed in their mouth as they run to their car? Sounds like a recipe for stress, doesn't it? I don't know of anyone who needs more stress in their lives.

2. Pound the Agua

The first thing I suggest doing after waking up is to drink 5-7 glasses of water. It may feel a little uncomfortable, but do it anyway. You need to replenish your fluids and start the day out hydrated and refreshed. A nice cup of cold water in the morning will wake you up, too. I would say that most people go around dehydrated all day. Don't be one of those people. Bottoms up!


3. Spend Time With God

This may not be popular with some people, but the truth is not always popular. Take a few moments in your earliest hours reading the Bible and praying. Thank God for the good things in your life and cast your burdens upon Him; trust me, He is able to handle it. Today I read Proverbs chapters five and six. What portions of the Bible did you read? What are some things you are thankful for?


4. Enjoy a Cup of your Favorite Warm Drink

If you have a sensitive stomach, you may want to enjoy your drink with a low fat, low sugar, high fiber and/or high protein snack. Whether it be coffee, tea or milk; your favorite heated beverage will make you feel comfortable and happy. 


5. Do Something You Love Before You Start Your Day

You can read a chapter of the book you're on. You can write a journal entry. You can take a short walk to start your day. Right now, I am typing my blog article, which is something I love to do. My wife and kids are still asleep, so this is 'me' time. I get to collect my thoughts and take some quiet time out for myself before I arrive at work at 8:30 A.M. How often do people say "I never have time for myself any more!"? More than necessary. Get that time in early.



6. Sweat before 8:00 AM (From Exertion, not Heat)

If you're feeling hungry at this point, grab a small bowl of oatmeal before exercising. Do some lunges, push-ups, crunches or leg extensions. You can even take a brisk walk around your block or down the road and back. Set your body up to burn calories all day and be warmed up to tackle anything and everything you work has to throw at you that day. It's better than being lethargic and oxygen-starved, right?


7. Eat Protein and Some Complex Carbohydrates for Breakfast

After you exercise, eat a good breakfast with protein such as can be found in a shake or eggs and also something like a bowl of oatmeal to get your complex carbs. Throw in some fresh fruit to refresh and energize you and that is one good breakfast! Have you ever been at work for a couple of hours and suddenly felt like you were going to kiss the floor involuntarily? Chances are you didn't eat a sufficient breakfast. 


8. Do a Full Hygiene Routine

For men, shave those whiskers! For women, use that apricot scrub! Brush your teeth, take a nice hot shower, make your hair look good. Slap on some deodorant and spray some smell-goods. Dress for success. My Uncle Dale always used to say: "You look good, you feel good." Take some pride in your appearance. 


9. Listen to Some Music

When you're about to leave in the mornings, listen to your favorite tunes to get you motivated and inspired for the day. You can even do this during other steps. The right kind of music will lift your mood if you're feeling low or enhance your mood if you're on your way to 'cloud nine'. 



10. Let Your Loved Ones Know How Much They Mean to You

Before you leave in the mornings, tell your spouse, kids, parents, siblings, dog, cat, etc that you love and care about them and make them feel important in your life. You never know which day will be your (or their) last and you will never make your loved ones wonder how you feel (or felt) about them. I meet a lot of people who never knew if their dads loved them because they never (or rarely) expressed any type of good emotions towards them. 



I hope this list of ten things you can do to start your day off right enhances your lives and gives you more success and happiness therein. Let me know if you try them and how they work for you!



6 comments:

  1. Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to know so much approximately
    this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something.
    I feel that you simply can do with some % to power the message home a little bit, however other than
    that, that is fantastic blog. A great read. I
    will definitely be back.

    Feel free to visit my web blog; digitalmoneypath.net - karapuz.ks.ua -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback. I would love it if you emailed me at jamajorslifecoach4life@gmail.com so you could elaborate on your comment. I appreciate reader interaction on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks James for following A Well of Inspiration. These are some great tips to get your day started off right, I should really think about implementing a few. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment and positive feedback, Erika. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. James I enjoyed this writing. I very much enjoy and need to get up a little early so I can read, reflect and enjoy my warm beverage is a quiet unrushed mode. It may not be much time before work, but it helps me start my day right. I have never tried exercise in the early hours but maybe it would benefit me to just start with a few lunges and some arm exercises. Great tips and all easy to incorporate....always good to remind myself to drink more water.
    Thanks James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. It has really made a difference in my life when I started getting up early and starting my day off right. You don't have to do a killer workout in the morning, but it's nice to do at least something to get your blood moving in the morning and kick-start your metabolism.
      Let me know how you feel after a few days of pounding the water right after you wake up. Personally, it helps me wake up and feel good. It just really starts the day out right :-)

      Delete